Sunday, September 6, 2009

Peach Festival: Hurricane, Utah

Had a thrill this weekend. After a long and hard week at work, full of stress and emotion, I left the office early on Friday headed to the Long Beach Airport and more stress. 150 of 150 seats sold on the JetBlue flight to Las Vegas. Though at the time I was number one on the standby list (it later changed to #2) I knew I was not going to make the flight. I even had an ace up my sleeve with an additional seat booked out of Burbank… But…. Holiday traffic was going to make it impossible to make the later flight on time. Then as if a miracle… 14 people who had checked in, didn’t get on the flight so I made it. In Las Vegas, a shuttle was waiting to St. George… I needed a weekend of fun and no stress and well on its way.

Got to ride on the Fire truck at the Peach Festival, with Adam driving and Daken, Ashlynne, and Paityn riding with as well. It was nice and just the break I needed. All of my worries and cares were gone. As I reflect back in my life, very few days can compare as to being as memorable. I recall being full of woe with a heavy heart about work problems and relaxing at big meadow for a few days stress break back about 1990. As I reflect on early married life with a small family I recall times stress and blowing off steam by putting a hole in the wall of the house we lived in on Avenue L-4 in Quartz Hill. As a child growing up I recall family stress happening but I don’t remember why. I do recall that as small as my family was (Divorced mother, married sister with a family of her own and a brother who lived his own life a coast away and hadn’t bothered to contact his mother or family for almost 20 years). Even as dysfunctional as we were, we coped and handled it together, and the stress passed.

I loved my mother and what she did to make sure, I/we made it. I am today what I am because of her dedication. I was afraid to do anything really bad because of how disappointed she would have been in me. Thank you family, for giving me a great weekend. Now at home for a day before returning to work, I am happy and ready to face the world for another week. Sad to see summer coming to an end, happily looking forward to autumn and the peace that comes from watching the seasons change.
As Always, Dad

Sayings of the the week,
“Life is hard… but its even harder if your stupid!” John Wayne
“What we obtain too easy, we fail to respect.” Unknown

3 comments:

Rach n Adam said...

I'm glad you had a great time! We loved having that time with you and Annie. I did cut you in half in the one picture, but the other one, especially when it's blown up...you can be seen!!! hehe Hope you have a less stressful week at work and we hope to make a trip that way next month! :)

Spencer and Aly Larsen said...

Thanks for the blog dad! It was a good read and I am glad you got a break!

ibelaura said...

i loved reading your blog =) hope you have a good week!