Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I AM WHO I AM AND YOU ARE WHO YOU ARE

I am today who I am because of the acts of many. I was raised by a single mother and three fathers who were a part of my life only for short periods. None of you can relate as you were raised by a mother and father. Though times were tough and many times moneys were not available for frivolous activities. You are today who you are because of the way we raised you. For the most part, you have all become decent, honorable citizens that participate in the lives of your own families and they will benefit from your efforts. Hopefully you have been a good example.

My birth father knew of my birth but didn’t bother to see me until I was about a year and half old. According to records on his death certificate he was married to another woman other than my mother. He led a double life with and had an additional family on the east coast. I can assume that he moved our small family to California shortly before my birth to hide us from his other family. I was born at home, two months ahead of the due date in Hollywood (121 ½ Rampart Blvd.- ½ block away from the 1st Tommy’s Burger stand) otherwise I would have been born in Dam Neck, Virginia. I can only remember meeting him once in my life. He died of a broken neck after diving into shallow water when I was 2 years old, with another woman signing his death certificate as his wife.

My second father came into our lives when I was five. A postal worker he envisioned himself as a movie star. He had appeared in the our gang comedies as the character Jacky (the boy with the crooked hat) as a child. His father, a camera man for MGM Studios when they had hand crank cameras, placed him in movies when he noted a vacancy that needed to be filled. Living only two blocks from the studios, he was a good close resource. His parents were English he was born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada while his father was on location filming a movie. Divorce ended the marriage after 8 years when he could not accept their new found religion and alcohol took over his life.

My third father (Pop) was the savior of my mothers life and sanity. They married late in life and finally found the true love of which both sought for a long time. Each had baggage from prior marriages but both gained the companionship for which they needed. They were not the perfect couple but for better or worse, they are now, together, paving the way for the rest of us in the hear-after.

Recently I learned that perhaps, I was not the best father because I failed to be one who could listen, or one, whom my children could confide in. I caught the blame for that one child’s experimentations in life. I guess I thought by keeping a close tab on my children, being a tough authoritarian, and not letting you have a lot of freedoms that others may have had, didn’t work to make you into model citizens. I guess I failed because you all turned out so bad.

Well, so much for the trip down memory lane. Until next week.

Dad

4 comments:

Rach n Adam said...

I enjoy reading about your life. It is very interesting to see where you came from and how you were raised! I think you've done a pretty darn good job with the majority of your children! ;) haha...I got a good one who has learned from you how to be a hard worker and provide for his family at all times! No parents are perfect and we all do the best we can. Thanks for raising a wonderful man that I am lucky enough to have for eternity! :)

Annie said...

I could not have asked for a better eternal companion. You always placed the Lord first in your life and then your family, a very close second. You have always worked hard to provide for both our spiritual and physical needs. You are a good husband and father and Papa. You've always "tried" to be the best you could be. I thank the Lord for having you in my life. I love you for "who you are".

ibelaura said...

although you were strict and i hated getting in trouble i don't think you are a bad dad. In fact i love and appreciate you for all that you are willing and are currently doing for all of us. i can honestly say i have no clue why you would think you didn't listen to us?? in fact i remember haveing ppi's with you. and traveling with you and have you asking us all sorts of questions and giving us problems to solve...oh yeah and all that trivia=)"who sings this?" "what movie is that from?" although we're not perfect no one can put all the blame on their parents because we make our own decisions, we choose which direction we'll go. I love you dad!!!!

Spencer and Aly Larsen said...

I have to agree! I remember you coming to my soccer tournaments or track invitationals. I remember going to culver city to try out for Jeopardy and you showing me around your old stomping grounds. I really enjoy the times that you come up and spend the day with me and Will and going out and trying new restaurants. I remember asking you to be there when I went through the temple for the first time. I thought you would have to work and you took the time off to be there with me. When I thanked you for being there, you said that you wouldn't have missed it. You are an excellent father. You taught me about money management and how to change the brakes on the car. In your own ways, you took time out for each of your kids and I am so grateful for that. Keep up the good work as PaPa and still as our dad. I love you!